Tuesday, June 24, 2008

4:3

Last night was week 4, run 3. It was something like 94 degrees out. At 9:30 p.m.! (It felt cooler than that, thankfully.) I set in and did the first half. By my second 3 minute run, my left knee was acting up and my shins were tired. BUT, I "overran" both 3 minute intervals by about 40 seconds before I checked my watch.

I stretched before the last 5 minute run. I was pretty mentally strong that last 5 minutes and didn't look at my watch until 4:30. Progress, people. Progress.

Then I came home, stretched and immediately iced both my knee and my shins. And elevated them, too.

I've found I'm very very grouchy without my iPod. It is SO my running crutch. I don't think I could make it without music.

I took a look at week 5. It looks a little like this:

5:1 (Wednesday morning)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

5:2 (Thursday evening)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
Walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)

5:3 (Saturday morning)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking

This morning I drove down my route and down some side streets to add 4/10s of a mile on to my route - at least for 5:1. I think I'll need it.

I've also asked my mom to borrow her Weight Watchers stuff. I figure I'll get a little preview of the plan (albeit an older version) before I commit to paying the online price. If I can pick it up this weekend, I can give it a shot next week. Either way, I'm eating ice cream on the 4th!!!

No comments: