Friday, July 11, 2008

The Next BIG Thing

I've been wondering what to do once I hit the 5k mark, since I'll likely hit it long before it cools down enough for any 5k runs. (The ones I have pegged are in October and December).

I finally found it! It's called "Becoming a One Hour Runner" (or OHR) and I know some of the C25k grads go on to do OHR. It goes like this:

Becoming a One Hour Runner
The key component of this program is the one long run per week. It builds up endurance and lays the foundation for further progress.

Weeks 1 - 3: Right now you are running 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week. Your weekly commitment of time is 90 minutes. Continue doing this for three weeks.
Week 4: Run 30 minutes, 29 minutes, 35 minutes. Weekly total: 94 minutes
Week 5: Run 30 minutes, 32 minutes, 38 minutes Weekly total: 100 minutes
Week 6: Run 30 minutes, 33 minutes, 41 minutes Weekly total: 104 minutes
Week 7: Run 30 minutes, 34 minutes, 45 minutes Weekly total: 109 minutes
Week 8: Run 30 minutes, 36 minutes , 49 minute Weekly total: 115 minutes
Week 9: Run 30 minutes, 38 minutes, 54 minutes Weekly total: 122 minutes
Week 10: Run 30 minutes, 40 minutes, 60 minutes Weekly total: 130 minutes

And the author of this program, Katherine Switzer, added a personal note that made me feel OH SO MUCH BETTER. I've been getting down on myself for not doing the 9 week C25k program in 9 weeks. Katherine says: When you are trying to increase your distance, some days feel good and others feel awful. Listen to your body. Be willing to back off. There is no hurry. These schedules are designed for the best possible circumstances, and sometimes you just need more time to adapt. Never move on to the next higher distance until you feel totally comfortable with the one you did today. I can remember once doing the same mileage for three weeks before I felt I had the strength to add a bit more.

That makes me feel better!!! I'm not doing more distance necessarily, but I'm starting to ramp up the length of my running intervals. And I'm trying to be honest with myself about what my body can do. The whole point is to keep going, and keep trying. "There is no hurry!"

No comments: